[tz] Pre-1970 data

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Nov 8 21:30:06 UTC 2021

Philip Paeps via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
> On 2021-11-05 07:03:33 (+0800), Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
>
> > The ironclad rule (AFAICT) is that there was always an *ID* for each
> > ISO country, and that the data it returned was acceptably accurate,
> > not outrageously wrong.
>
> While we could quibble about how "ironclad" the rule was, the tzdb certainly
> leaned in that direction until comparatively recently.  That aside though, I
> completely support the second half of this sentence as a guiding principle of
> what the tzdb ought to provide.

The tz maintenance rules as written clearly said that each country should
have at least one zone until 2019. That rule started being broken in 2013
when zones started being merged and pre-1970 data was dropped for some
countries that lacked representation on this list.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Mull of Kintyre to Ardnamurchan Point: Southwest 5 to 7, veering west