[tz] Version identification (was Re: Downstream use of 2021c)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 7 17:21:37 UTC 2021

On 10/7/21 10:00 AM, Tom Lane via tz wrote:
> why isn't there an easy way to
> identify the release version of an installed tzdata tree?

$ head -n 1 /usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi
# version 2021b

I ran this shell command on my Fedora 34 system, which I updated a few
days ago from the Fedora project by using the "dnf update", a standard
way to keep up-to-date.

Unfortunately this tzdata.zi approach is not taken by every
distribution. Also, it's reasonably common for distributions to say
"2021b" (or whatever) even though the actual data contains minor
modifications from vanilla 2021b. The modifications are typically so
minor that almost nobody cares about the differences (though evidently
somebody does :-).