[tz] Version identification (was Re: Downstream use of 2021c)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Oct 8 18:26:50 UTC 2021

Paul Eggert via tz said:
> I was a bit taken aback just now, when I realized that all of tzdb can
> be compressed into a size that would nearly fit into the RAM of the
> first computer I ever programmed, a circa-1961 GE-225 mainframe that
> weighed nearly a ton and had only 8192 20-bit words.

The first machine I programmed had only 8192 words, well actually 8188 [1],
but they did have 39 bits each rather than 20.

I can't find the weight of the model we had, but the minimal system (with
4092 words) was just over 800 kg.

[1] All 8192 words were present, but four of them couldn't be accessed: the
addresses went to a 4 word ROM instead.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.