[tz] [PROPOSED] Improve Palestine predictions for 2025 and later

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Mon Oct 25 18:29:25 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 at 21:25, Philip Paeps via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

>    - NEWS: Mention this.
>    - asia (Palestine): Guess Fri>=23, not lastFri, for fallback
>
> transitions in the future. Fri>=23 is more consistent with past
> practice than lastFri. The first differing prediction is a
> fallback on 2025-10-24, not 2025-10-31.
>
> This seems reasonable. It's still only a prediction but improving the
> likelihood of not having to fix the transition date with fewer than two
> weeks notice for a couple of years would be a win.

It's also similar to how we've been recently handling Palestine's March
transition.  Recently, both transitions seem to be more-or-less pinned to
the last Sunday of the month (*à la* EU rules) so things don't get too
badly out-of-sync, but with the actual change taking place on a
more-locally-favorable day of that same weekend (which is the part that has
been less consistent, of late).

I've installed the attached patch to the commentary since it was left
unchanged despite the improvement to the prediction.

--
Tim Parenti