[tz] Wrong name of timezone

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Tue Oct 26 09:07:04 UTC 2021

> On 25 Oct 2021, at 19:46, Paul Gilmartin via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
> On Oct 25, 2021, at 11:59:10, Arthur David Olson via tz wrote:
>>
>> Here are the results of a Google ngrams search for frequencies of the various spellings between 1700 and 1940:
>>
>>    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Kiev%2CKyiv%2CKiou%2CKiow%2CKiew%2CKiiow%2CKieff&year_start=1700&year_end=1940&corpus=26&smoothing=3
>>
> But none of them rise above 0.0000700%?!  Where is the mode?
>
> Interesting.  I'll need to look up how to pose such a query.

Just to add to the mix, I noticed the other day that the BBC have adopted “Kyiv” and indeed googling for “site:bbc.co.uk kyiv” produces many pages.  Most interesting is that the BBC weather pages direct a search for “Kiev” to a page with “Kyiv” at the top.

One of the many previous discussions did say that when “Kyiv” is the common English spelling, the tz database should change to prefer that spelling.   Anecdotally, I don’t think we’ve reached that point yet but perhaps we’re getting closer (but “Kiev” needs to be kept for compatibility for a good long while).