[tz] [PROPOSED] zic -r is incompatible with rolling leaps

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Sep 13 08:58:53 UTC 2021

On 9/13/21 12:57 AM, Guy Harris wrote:
> You participated in the tz mailing list thread:

Ha! I'd forgotten all about that too.

I'd also forgotten about D.J.Berstein's statement that month
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/1998-May/010169.html>:

> I don't see why anyone should waste time or energy on unused ideas
> such as negative leap seconds or rolling leap seconds. There's ample
> time to add these features if they are ever necessary. Arguments about
> "getting the code right" are silly: the code will have to be upgraded
> anyway in a few thousand years

Much of my recent tzdb activity has come from auditing tzcode for leap
second issues, given that a negative leap second is a real possibility
in the near future. I have in my pipeline a fix for what appears to be a
genuine but very unlikely bug involving negative leap seconds, which I
hope to publish later today.