[tz] [PROPOSED] zic -r is incompatible with rolling leaps

Arthur David Olson arthurdavidolson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 14:40:49 UTC 2021

While "3...2...1...leap" was mentioned on the mailing list in 1998, support
for rolling leap seconds goes all the way back to the 1.1, 1988-01-25
version of the leapseconds file (included below). Folks looking for
documentation of "3...2...1...leap" in New York might focus on 1987 or,
before that, 1972 through 1979. (My guess 1987.)

    --ado

# @(#)leapseconds 1.1

# Allowance for leapseconds added to each timezone file.

# The correction (+ or -) is made at the given time, so lines
# will typically look like:
# Leap YEAR MON DAY 23:59:60 + R/S
# or
# Leap YEAR MON DAY 23:59:59 - R/S

# If the leapsecond is Rolling (R) the given time is local time
# If the leapsecond is Stationary (S) the given time is GMT

# Leap YEAR MONTH DAY HH:MM:SS CORR R/S
Leap 1972 Jun 30 23:59:60 + S
Leap 1972 Dec 31 23:59:60 + S
Leap 1973 Dec 31 23:59:60 + S