[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Eliot Lear lear at ofcourseimright.com
Mon Sep 20 10:47:59 UTC 2021

[Resending]

I think it's a bad idea to fork for a great many reasons, only a few of
which are the following:

  * Time confusion going forward, with new inconsistencies being introduced.
  * Implementer confusion in terms of which code base is more
    up-to-date; worse if the code base fragments.
  * Fragmentation of expertise among volunteers

I fear that you drastically underestimate the effort that has been
required to maintain both the code and the data.

I would suggest an alternative: the policy of this group is set in an
RFC, and that RFC can be updated if there is consensus in this community
to do so.  If the community doesn't like the policy, it can change it,
and continue to gain the benefit of one another.

Eliot