[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

dpatte dpatte at relativedata.com
Mon Sep 20 11:31:35 UTC 2021

I want to thank tzdb for all the work that has been done providing recent timezone data for those that need this central repository.I would like to join with others in forking the db so we can start and maintain a new tz db that also becomes a primary db for historical tz data.Archeologists do not wait until they have every detail perfect and complete about the fossil of a dinosaur before publishing the discovery of a new bone. Historians do not wait until they understand the complete civilization before publishing new evidence of a new society. Historical information can never be complete, but a standard and repository for historical data must be  available for the collection of this type of data as a focal point for research in this type of data.I'm in, and can bring 45 years of professional software development experience, including 30 years of C, 25 of c++, and 10 of javascript, and 5 of nodejs.DavidDavidSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Stephen Colebourne via tz <tz at iana.org> Date: 2021-09-20  04:07  (GMT-05:00) To: Time Zone Mailing List <tz at iana.org> Subject: [tz] Preparing to fork tzdb Hi all,As most of you probably know, there is a dispute about the tzdbmaintainer's recent changes to merge large numbers of time-zones[1][2]. These have the effect of wiping out historic time-zoneinformation on many locations where the data has been in tzdb for manyyears.It appears that there is soon to be a new release of tzdb containingthese changes. In my opinion, the correct behaviour of the tzdbmaintainer would be to revert the controversial changes before doing arelease.In the event that the tzdb maintainer does not revert, considerationmust be given to forking the project. The purpose of the fork wouldinitially be to maintain the tzdb data set as it was prior to thedispute. This would then be released in parallel to the original tzdbto ensure that downstream projects do not each do their own thing (ie.to minimize incompatibilities downstream).Is there support for a fork?Is anyone willing to help out?Is any other group willing to sponsor tzdb (eg. CLDR or Red Hat)?Please reply to this thread with an indication of support and/or help.thanksStephen Colebourne[1] https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-June/thread.html[2] https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-September/030372.html