[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 21 17:52:18 UTC 2021

On 9/20/21 11:53 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:
> Stephen tried many months ago to come up with a set of statements and suggestions to come up with a reasonable policy on what to do, and although there were some issues with that, there was at least an attempt to codify a way forwards.

Although there were definitely issues, we could reopen that discussion.
Eliot Lear also suggested something along those lines.

As I recall quite a few words were exchanged but the details are fuzzy
in my mind. To help narrow things down, it'd be helpful to propose a
specific patch to theory.html. (theory.html is the file that contains
the guidelines in question.)

You'd surely need such a patch anyway if you fork. And now's a good time
to write the patch, if only to justify why a fork is necessary. However,
I hope the exercise of writing the patch can help us find a way to avoid
the fork.