[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 21 18:51:04 UTC 2021

On 9/21/21 11:40 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> It's not
> like the previous state of affairs was deliberately non-diverse

It'd be hard for me to defend that assertion, unfortunately. And I am in
a position where I could well have to defend it, as I am UCLA teaching
professor who has institutional obligations in the areas of equity,
diversity and inclusion. I think other organizations who have similar
obligations should also be aware of these issues.

> I think the reason that e.g. Norway has its own
> zone is that somebody did the research to add it once upon a time.

Yes. That "somebody" was me.

> Why should we devalue that effort now?

It's not being devalued. I certainly don't feel any devaluement (is that
a word? :-) The data are just being put in their proper place.