[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 21 19:54:16 UTC 2021

On 9/21/21 12:47 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> That sort of argument would be valid only if one accepted as an axiom
>> that countries (or states) are an inherent part of timekeeping.
> Governments self-evidently are: they are why we even have time zones
> in the first place.

Of course governments determine civil-time rules, and these rules
determine what goes into tzdb. But that does not mean that tzdb must
include Zones for Utah, Idaho, Montana etc. merely because Arizona has
an Zone. All it means is that we need to record governmental rules
accurately and concisely. tzdb will continue to be easier to maintain
and use if it focuses on timekeeping, not politics.