[tz] Replacing the TZ Coordinator

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Tue Sep 21 23:28:46 UTC 2021

Steve Allen via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:
> Before a change of coordinator happens I want to see proponents of
> "one zone per ISO country code" and proponents of the "data before
> 1970 must be available" agree on how tzdata and tzcode should handle
> this:
> https://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1600/

That's really quite an unfair line of argument: it's not like we
have solutions to those problems in the current state of tzdb,
nor did the May changes move us closer to having such solutions.

FWIW, I'm not particularly set on either of the viewpoints
you mention above.  What I *am* interested in is a conservative
approach to management of the tzdb data, which I would define as
not changing historical data for any zone except when there is
reasonable evidence that the new data is more accurate than the
old.  The May changes completely failed to consider this point,
and instead saddled individual tzdb repackagers with the need
to decide which set of inaccurate data they'd rather ship.

			regards, tom lane