[tz] Replacing the TZ Coordinator

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:57:13 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 4:54 PM Derick Rethans via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> On 22 September 2021 03:08:00 BST, Robert Masters via tz <tz at iana.org>
> wrote:
> >I do not believe we have got to that stage. That said, I also believe we
> should hold off on any major changes until we have a clear consensus.
> >
> >I think an appropriate course of action would be to revert to 2021a,
> apply the changes just announced, and then everyone take a week off to
> think about things and to calm down.
> >
> >After we've all taken a week's break let's all put together the various
> proposals in a single list, and work out which is the right one (if any) to
> go forward with.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with that.
>
> I don't want a fork, I don't want to replace anybody.
>
> What I do want is a consensus seeking process to change away from a status
> quo. For me, that status quo is currently the 2021a release. If anybody,
> including the TZ Coordinator, wants to deviate from that status quo, a
> consensus should be reached *before* implementing such a change.
>
> As a data consumer, stability of the default output of zic is paramount.

Yes please.  There is no consensus to make the change, there is no
consensus (I think) to change the Coordinator, or do anything else.

My issue is that I have not seen any justification for merging Oslo into
Berlin, other than some non-European (like me) finds it offensive.  But
even as I would like my village in Punjab to have its own entry, it hurts
me not at all that the Vikings have one too.

Paul has done excellent, and thankless, and backbreaking regular work to
get us here.  And he does bring up good points on this change.  But I posit
this: this is a significant change to the data, and *that* requires a
consensus, I would say.  Which is not what has happened.

Please do not mix up the Oslo change with the Apia change.  We are agreed
on Apia, let that proceed, and let us continue to work out the other
issue.  Who knows, the fifteenth time we might agree with each other :-)

Paul, I understand that a significant time is spent explaining repeatedly
why one City has a zone of its own, and not another (Hi, Kiev).  But I do
not think that that problem is solved by excluding everyone, just because
we cannot include some of us.  And I don't see how the Kiev emails will
stop after this change, anyway.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane