[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Watson Ladd watson at cloudflare.com
Wed Sep 22 14:34:40 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 6:09 AM dpatte via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Iso is a living international standard, and it's their mandate, not the mandate of timezone collectors to do the negotiation and diplomacy in order to arrive at and maintain the world standard.
>
> I certainly don't believe we have the mandate or skillset to ignore the  international standard widely used in modern computer technology.

What we have done is divide the world into regions based on how people
keep time. That this doesn't always distinguish countries is not a
problem.

One could make an argument that the scale of possible future changes
might make it sensible to have countries to properly handle future
events, but that is not the argument the country people are making,
unless I missed it. What the argument seems to be is that users want
their country in the list when picking a timezone, which can be
handled by mapping more places to a tzdb defined timezone.

That's different from squashing based on post-1970.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd