[tz] An alternate framing of timezone maintenance

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Wed Sep 22 23:35:38 UTC 2021

Tom Lane <tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> As a theoretical argument, that's great.  Given a few months or a year,
> maybe we could even implement such a model.  The problem at hand is what
> are we going to ship *tomorrow*.  There's no time to make such a thing
> happen.

I completely agree that this thread is about the long-term direction and
an attempt to provide a way of reframing the problem so that various
parties don't feel backed into a corner with no path forward other than a
fork.  None of this discussion addresses the immediate concern of what is
in the 2021b release.

I stated my opinion on that topic in a different thread earlier today.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>