[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Thu Sep 23 17:22:58 UTC 2021

Kevin Kenny via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:
> I could live with this. My chief concerns are (a) we should not arbitrarily
> make data that are believed to be reliable more difficult to access; (b) we
> should not surprise users by suddenly making them see different names for
> their home time zones. (For a Norwegian suddenly to have 'Berlin' instead
> of 'Oslo' appear is not acceptable.) Could we establish the rule, "don't
> abolish zones once released, even if they are subsequently discovered to be
> duplicative"?

I think that rule already exists --- the problem is that instead of
removing zone names altogether, we're willing to make them misleading
by linking them to data for some nearby location (for possibly large
values of "nearby").  It's that practice that needs to go, in one
way or another.

			regards, tom lane