[tz] Some thoughts about the way forward

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 24 07:51:08 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 12:32 AM, Jon Skeet wrote:
> Except that the name 2021a1 is*not*  compatible with
> https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-link.html

I don't know of any software that will break due to the name 2021a1. If
you know of one, we could issue 2021b and 2021c. I had already
considered doing that but thought that it would more problematic than
what I ended up proposing, for reasons that I hope are obvious.

Making the equitable distribution look like an optional flaky branch is
not the way to move forward. It shouldn't be considered optional because
fairness ought to be one of our core principles. And it shouldn't be
considered flaky because it's not flaky; we've done this sort of thing
many times before without significant incident.