[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Fri Sep 24 14:56:41 UTC 2021

"Clive D.W. Feather via tz" <tz at iana.org> writes:
> Right. So why is "NO -> Europe/Berlin" a problem when "DE -> Europe/Berlin"
> isn't? I don't follow this argument.

In a vacuum, that'd perhaps be fine (although bad memories of WWII
might be a reason to say it isn't).  But I think the real reason
for concern is that the proposed change causes a default build of
tzdb to contain strictly worse (less accurate) data for NO than
what was there before.  It is very difficult to accept that that's
a good change.  The fact that we've made similar changes in the
past without so much push-back does not make it okay.  Rather,
we ought to acknowledge that those past changes were also bad
ideas, and undo them.

			regards, tom lane