[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Almaz Mingaleev mingaleev at google.com
Fri Sep 24 16:35:47 UTC 2021

Speaking of Angola: Africa/Luanda was moved to backward in [1].
The commit message says that it's due to "now-abandoned guideline
that every ISO 3166 code should have a zone".
Ethiopia: Africa/Addis_Ababa was moved to backward in [2].
NEWS file in it tells "Some more zones have been turned into
links, when they differed from existing zones only for older
time stamps".
Using repo history only I get the impression that in 2021 you
merge zones because they were merged in 2014. I don't
understand how that process is related to (or improves)
equity, diversity or inclusion issues.
What do I miss here?

> It replaces Zones with Links when Links suffice. That way, Norway etc.
are treated like Angola etc.

The reasons mentioned in commit messages do not apply to Norway.

> The job is done now.

Sorry, I was unclear. What I meant was what is overall goal of
this refactoring. I guess steps are not that important now.

> The recent patches are orthogonal to the Kiev -> Kyiv rename

Yes, they are. But I think it still might raise concern from users.

tl;dr: Sorry, I've started to follow tz mailing list only recently, I don't
know all the historic decisions. But looking to commit messages history
only, I get a weird impression around recent changes.

[1]
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/2a18a625a0171e5c54249a54179eda3409b1b838#diff-47823b565d4a696e1db5f479faca0aa271899c05d24971730015cb294d0b6446

[2]
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/6f6f20f0bc739ce3dfd503700b793c5e459e309d