[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 24 20:12:06 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 11:53 AM, Robert Elz via tz wrote:
> there's nothing
> stopping us treating this as a somewhat special case (which it clearly is)

It's not that special (unless by "special" you mean "temporarily
commanded by a Red Army general" :-). If you're concerned about pre-1970
timestamps Europe/Paris is wrong for most of France, America/New_York is
wrong for most of the US Eastern time zone, etc., etc.

I doubt whether it'd be possible even in theory to hash that all out, if
one wanted accurate timestamps back to the introduction of standard
time. Too many of the old records have been lost. But even if it were
possible, it'd be a lot of work and nobody has the time and inclination
to do it. We need guidelines that we can realistically follow and that
result in an equitable database.