[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Fri Sep 24 20:30:11 UTC 2021

On Sep 24, 2021, at 9:35 AM, Almaz Mingaleev via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Speaking of Angola: Africa/Luanda was moved to backward in [1].
> The commit message says that it's due to "now-abandoned guideline
> that every ISO 3166 code should have a zone".
> Ethiopia: Africa/Addis_Ababa was moved to backward in [2].

Presumably you meant "moved to backzone".  "backward" "provides links between current names for timezones and their old names", and contains no data, just Link lines.

backward does have

	Link Africa/Nairobi Africa/Asmera

Africa/Asmera would be a link even if we brought all backzone entries back to the main database - it'd be a link to Africa/Asmara.  I don't know whether Link works transitively, so I don't know whether

	Link Africa/Asmara Africa/Asmera

would work, given that there's also

	Link Africa/Asmara Africa/Asmera

in the africa file.