[tz] Some thoughts about the way forward

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 24 20:57:41 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 1:51 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think the
> rule I suggested, "in unless there are documented concerns about
> correctness", would be a lot simpler to apply and easier to defend.

Having gone through the thought experiment of applying that rule to the
data I help maintain, I disagree. For one thing, it's quite backwards
about the burden of proof. Essentially the rule you're suggesting is
"Here's a Zone; it should go in unless someone can prove me wrong." And
even if that were fixed, I see waaayy more opportunities for debate and
disagreement if the standards for including data become more subjective.

I'm not saying we can't change the guidelines. But it'd need to be done
carefully (and after the next release; I'm a bit rushed now), and any
revision to be practical would have to be a lot more selective than what
you're suggesting.