[tz] 2021b v 2021a1

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Fri Sep 24 21:41:26 UTC 2021

Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:
> On 9/24/21 9:16 AM, John Hawkinson wrote:
>> So again, why would we not do this? What interest does it serve to do otherwise?

> Unfortunately I haven't had time to answer each individual message.

> The brief answer to your question is that it is relatively urgent for us
> to address the equity issue.

> So far this issue has been mostly limited to this mailing list, but it's
> almost sure to come out in the popular press, as the recent flurry of
> messages has caused outsiders to pay attention to the issue. (I know
> this because they're contacting me privately.)

It's certainly unfortunate that we still don't have a satisfactory
solution, but it's been clear since May that a large fraction of
the mailing list doesn't agree with your solution.  Forcing the
issue under time pressure is just going to make things worse.

More than that, your solution is going to result in an effective
fork.  Even if there's not an actual competing upstream, the
probability that some significant fraction of repackagers will
start using backzone is going to create confusion on the ground
that's indistinguishable from a fork.  You should be worrying
more about the headlines that will result from *that*.

			regards, tom lane