[tz] 2021b v 2021a1

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 24 21:54:46 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 2:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Even if there's not an actual competing upstream, the
> probability that some significant fraction of repackagers will
> start using backzone is going to create confusion on the ground
> that's indistinguishable from a fork.  You should be worrying
> more about the headlines that will result from *that*.

*Those* headlines I'm willing to put up with. They'll be a lot less ugly
than the ones I'm worried about.

I'm reasonably confident that major repackagers are also sensitive to
the issue of equity, and will be willing to follow a reasonable lead.
Although you're right that some repackagers may go their own way in the
short term, I hope and have reason to believe that we'll all come up
with a mutually acceptable solution in the medium to longer term.

In the meantime all I can do is continue to say, "You shouldn't use
'backzone'." That's been my advice all along. (Not that everybody
listens to my advice....)