[tz] Replacing the TZ Coordinator

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Fri Sep 24 22:27:08 UTC 2021

On Fri, 24 Sept 2021 at 23:12, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 9/22/21 11:06 AM, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
> So, instead of the 2021a1-vs-2021b compromise I suggested earlier (which
> turns out to have important compatibility issues just with the name
> "2021a1"!) I now plan to compromise along the lines I suggested a dozen
> hours ago, here:
>
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-September/030686.html
>
> I.e., the idea is to revert most (but not all) of the objected-to
> changes. In particular, this will revert the changes to Europe/Oslo and
> Europe/Stockholm, which have drawn the most objections. The idea is to
> take the first step now, and to take more steps in future releases
> (which should not be distant-future releases, as we need to continue to
> make and exhibit a good-faith effort to fix the problem). This will let
> us generate just one version, 2021b.
>
> Although your followup
> <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-September/030689.html> didn't
> agree with the proposed compromise, it didn't reject it in quite the
> strong terms that I saw in earlier emails. And indeed, the proposed
> compromise is far closer to what you suggested than to what I suggested,
> as it replaces only 9 Zones with Links instead of 30-odd Zones. So it's
> a reasonable way forward, even if both of us dislike the compromise.

No. No, no, no.

I've talked about Oslo and Stockholm as examplars - I reject the whole
concept of link merging without a bigger plan. Merging ANY zones in
major world business centres will immediately impact any Joda-Time
user that updates their time-zone data themselves.

9 changes instead of 30 changes is not helpful. The way out of this
mess is zero merges today and a rational discussion next week.

Stephen