[tz] 2021b v 2021a1

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 25 02:10:16 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 4:40 PM, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
> I note that you have yet to engage with my sincerely held view that
> merging zones in this way makes the database less fair.

Unfortunately we've exchanged so many emails on the subject that I'm
sure I've dropped some.

Perhaps you're referring to this email?

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-September/030689.html

In it, you wrote, "current rules result in what I consider to be an
inequitable outcome where Berlin is favoured over Oslo", and later wrote
"I have a good final position state for tzdb in my head, but I don't
want to write it to the list until everything is calmer. (My proposal
meets both your and my equity viewpoints)."

I understood that email to mean that you had an alternative definition
of equity, and that you were planning to share it with us when things
are calmer. If that understanding is correct, I welcome discussing it
when it's available, as I also want to work together to something that
we can agree on. Being pressed for time, though, I thought discussion of
an as-yet-unpresented position was premature.

If my understanding of your email was incorrect, I'm sorry about that.