[tz] [tz-announce] 2021b release of tz code and data available

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Sep 26 15:37:58 UTC 2021

On 9/26/21 3:38 AM, Michael H Deckers wrote:

>          Link America/Port_of_Spain America/Virgin
>      in line 755 of backzone should be converted to
>          Link America/St_Thomas     America/Virgin

That would create a link-to-a-link (America/Virgin → America/St_Thomas →
America/Puerto_Rico), which would cause "make check_links" to fail. This
maintainer check was put in several years ago, when some downstream
software misbehaved with a link-to-a-link in one of our releases. And I
suspect that even zic is not robust in the presence of arbitrary
links-to-links, though I haven't tested this.

I do see the semantic issue behind the change you're proposing, as
America/Virgin is an old alias for America/St_Thomas. If we wanted to
add support for links-to-links, I suspect someone would have to code up
and test changes to zic.c, and we would definitely need to give
downstream users considerable time to adjust to the change. I'm not sure
it's worth it merely to support this very minor issue.