[tz] Some thoughts about the way forward

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Sep 26 16:10:28 UTC 2021

On 9/25/21 2:59 PM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
> So why not change the sequence to go a to y, then zaa to zzz? That way you
> never have one ID being the prefix of another.

I had also been considering "z followed by any sequence of
lower-case-letters" as one way to extend the version-numbering scheme in
practice, while continuing to conform to the specific wording of the
current guidelines.

Let's keep this idea in our back pocket in case it might be useful in
the long term. In the short run, though, it sounds dubious due to the
unfortunate Android compatibility issue Almaz mentioned in
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2021-September/030621.html>, where
Android allows only 5-character version numbers and so cannot go past
"2021z".