[tz] Replacing the TZ Coordinator

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Sep 26 17:39:01 UTC 2021

On 9/26/21 10:24 AM, Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

> Could you provide pointers, please, rather than asking us to search without
> any clues.

Listing precise pointers would take some work. Here's a clue instead:
Google "Kosovo site:icann.org". There are quite a few hits going back
many years. Although I distinctly recall a conversation about it within
the past year, perhaps that conversation was all or mostly private.
Whatever part was public, should have been archived at ICANN.

> The problem is what "fairly" means.

Yes. Stephen has said he'd like to write something up addressing that
issue, and we have time to think about how the guidelines should say
that the guidelines should be applied fairly. I see no need for me to
propose something right this minute, and there is value in letting
things cool off a bit.

>> > It's not just in my head; it's written down in the guidelines (see
>> > theory.html).
>
> A quote here would be useful.

"If all the clocks in a timezone have agreed since 1970, do not bother
to include more than one timezone even if some of the clocks disagreed
before 1970."

https://www.ietf.org/timezones/tzdb-2021b/theory.html#naming