[tz] timezone Verschlimmbesserung

Eliot Lear lear at lear.ch
Thu Sep 30 06:05:56 UTC 2021

I just want to point something out:

On 29.09.21 18:19, Scott Kilpatrick via tz wrote:
> 1) In 2013, a long-adopted policy of having a Zone for each ISO 3166
> country was abandoned at Paul's discretion [1], a decision that was
> disputed at the time and didn't seem to have much support from others.

Members of this list do not have to comment on anything, and generally
don't.  This list is usually very quiet.  Paul makes all sorts of
changes without much comment.  If he didn't, there would be almost no
updates, and the database would be out of sync, and people would be
upset about that.

The role of the TZ Coordinator is one of designated expert.  He can and
does seek views of the community, but the process laid out in 6557
expects him to use his judgment and not to only rely on that consensus.
We wrote it that way because to do otherwise would require more work
from this group of volunteers.

And so it is misleading to say that Paul moved forward without much
support.  He is SUPPOSED to move forward without much support, though he
should take great care when he does.

Eliot