[tz] Dropping coordinates from zone1970.tab?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 30 17:54:13 UTC 2021

On 9/30/21 1:57 AM, Aurelien Jarno via tz wrote:
> This means that you can be presented with a map
> with cities to pick-up.

If I understand you correctly, you're not concerned about tzselect
(which is text-only). Instead, you're concerned about a graphical user
interface that shows a map of cities without showing timezone regions,
or perhaps shows timezone regions that don't match the actual (but
undocumented) tzdb regions well.

I would say that such UIs have always been problematic, as inaccurate or
missing region boundaries can make such maps difficult to use. Although
this has long been true (as witness the South Pole example), I don't see
why it means we should drop coordinates from zone1970.tab (coordinates
that tzselect uses and which graphical UIs can also use); all it means
is that those maps and/or UIs could use improvements.