[tz] Undoing the effect of the new alike-since-1970 patch

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 14 21:59:57 UTC 2021

On 9/14/21 11:41 AM, Almaz Mingaleev wrote:
> Platform-wise the main issue is that we can no longer use zone.tab
> to validate our region <-> time zone mapping.

Thanks for mentioning this. I was unaware that the compatibility concern
focused on zone.tab.

Since zone.tab is present only for compatibility reasons, it makes sense
to revert the changes to it. Proposed patch attached. I have not
installed this patch into the development repository yet though, as it's
a sensitive topic and I want people to have time for comments.

In the long run I suggest looking at zone1970.tab, as it has fewer
entries and should be more convenient for users who simply want to set a
time zone. It should even be possible to add a file 'zonenow.tab' that
lists only zones that differ for current and future timestamps; that
would be even smaller and so should be even simpler for users. None of
this is urgent, though.