[tz] proposed change to Europe/Kaliningrad in 1945

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Feb 21 23:00:17 UTC 2022

On 2/21/22 14:37, Alois Treindl via tz wrote:
> Why should the Russians have treated East Prussia from the rest of the
> occupied German territory in May 1945.

As I understand it, when a city fell to the Soviets the commander of the
unit that took the city was put in charge and got to determine its
clocks. If my understanding is correct, it's possible that the commander
of Königsberg (later Kaliningrad) decided to synchronize with occupied
Poland (or with some other region) rather than with the rest of occupied
Germany. Since the USSR was planning to annex the area anyway I doubt
whether the Soviets cared about keeping it in sync with the rest of
occupied Germany.

It'd be helpful to know who got put in charge of Königsberg/Kaliningrad
during that turbulent period, and what clock-related regulations they
issued. It might be hard to find that out, though.