[tz] The State of Palestine has adopted the first part of the specification for its time zone

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 4 17:50:14 UTC 2022

On 1/4/22 09:12, Eliot Lear via tz wrote:

> The TZ update process here has no formal recognition of governments (any governments).  Still, statements from governments, however they reach this group, tend to carry a lot of weight.

Quite true. In the past we've given a lot of weight to official
government documents, and we welcome future cooperation in this area as
this will streamline communication. (All too often for many countries in
the past, we've had to rely on third parties or the popular press to
forward their governments' information to us, which has resulted in
inaccuracies and delays in updating the database.)

 From the timekeeping point of view, the most important thing is to know
the UTC offsets and the rules for when daylight saving time starts and
stops in Palestine, and for technical reasons it's best to have this
nailed down well in advance - preferably at least a year before rules
change.

Currently for Palestine, tzdb lists standard time of UTC+02, and it says
daylight saving time starts at 00:00 on the first Saturday on or after
March 24, and ends at 01:00 on the first Friday on or after October 23.
Unfortunately, as far as I know these daylight saving time rules are not
official, in that there's no official Palestinian government document
listing these rules for future years; however, tzdb must put *something*
in the database and that's the best guess we've come up with. If the
government could publish an official document stating what the rules are
for future years, we'd be happy to adjust tzdb to match that.

Of lesser importance is the English-language abbreviation used for
standard and daylight saving time in Palestine. (This is less important
because most timekeeping applications do not rely on these
abbreviations, as they are inherently ambiguous and somewhat deprecated
anyway.) Here, tzdb attempts to follow common practice, and it currently
uses the same longstanding abbreviations for time in Palestine that it
uses for Cyprus, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria - namely "EET" and
"EEDT" (short for "Eastern European Time" and "Eastern European Summer
Time"). I am unaware of any English-language use of the abbreviations
"PSST" and "PSDT" to refer to civil timekeeping in this area. However,
if these abbreviations become popular in common practice we should
change tzdb to incorporate them.