[tz] Commentary-only releases - let's not

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Jul 1 16:00:51 UTC 2022

On Fri, 1 Jul 2022 at 00:00, Philip Paeps via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> As Tom points out, we actually have a fairly predictable schedule today:
> bursts of releases around the silly seasons in March and October and one
> or two releases at other times.  I'm not too worried about our release
> machinery atrophying.

And, even if we go an entire "season" without zone changes, leap second
data expires twice-yearly as well whether there's a leap-second or not:

Even if there are no zone changes in the Mar/Apr season, we would still
need a release around May to incorporate the Jan announcement regarding a
possible Jun leap-second.
Even if there are no zone changes in the Sep/Oct season, we would still
need a release around Nov to incorporate the Jul announcement regarding a
possible Dec leap-second.

So the point about avoiding atrophy is well-taken, but I don't foresee us
dipping below a minimum of two releases a year.  And because of the above,
I also don't see the need to impose any further arbitrary schedule on
releases either.

> Unfortunately, the nature of the data we record means we'll always have
> to make releases on short notice.

Yup, no avoiding that.

--
Tim Parenti