[tz] Timezone error (Kyiv not Kiev)

Petro Ord petro.ordyn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 21:23:17 UTC 2022

> More recently, there is also the common appeal that this change
> should be made not on the basis of “mainstream English spelling,”

Neither Kyiv nor Kiev is an English spelling word, it is a
Roman-letter (Latin) spelling word.

> but as a protest against the 2014 and 2022 invasions
For years people cannot separate Ukraine from russia. Kiev is
something that was in soviet union and continues to be in russia. But
Ukraine is an independent country, we always have Kyiv.
And keeping Kiev instead of Kyiv is your way of saying that we do not
consider you as a country.
Up until 2014 some of you have never heard about Ukraine, but it does
not mean that there were no errors in naming Kyiv as Kiev. It has
always been an error.
Considering it as a protest is your way to dissociate yourself from reality.