[tz] Buggy %z behaviour in strftime

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 19 17:40:33 UTC 2022

On 7/18/22 15:19, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
>    https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1533

Thanks for the URL. In looking at that I see one way in which tzcode
doesn't conform to the draft POSIX spec: its gmtime generates the
abbreviation "GMT" whereas draft POSIX requires it to generate the
more-modern "UTC". Proposed patch 0001 attached.

Also, while writing the above patch I noticed that 'make install'
defaults LOCALTIME to GMT. In the spirit of being more like POSIX, let's
change the LOCALTIME default back to Factory. That's the way it used to
be. Although we changed it from Factory to GMT in 2010 due to issues
with the length of the old Factory abbreviation, these issues were fixed
in 2016 so we don't need to worry about them any more. Proposed patches
0002 and 0003 attached.