[tz] IANA timezone database - request to add Omaha, Nebraska

enh enh at google.com
Fri Jul 22 22:55:01 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 3:06 AM Robert Elz via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

>     Date:        Fri, 22 Jul 2022 09:55:44 +0200
>     From:        Florian Weimer via tz <tz at iana.org>
>
>   | It's just a myth that the IANA tz identifiers are internal data
>   | invisible to users.  Real systems do not work this way.
>
> android seems to, I have never seen a TZ string of any kind in normal
> use of any of my android devices - yet I know it is in there, in some
> form, somewhere.

(off-topic from ubuntu's ui problems at this point, but...)

yeah, Android uses a system property to communicate system-wide timezone
changes. in libc, where tzcode checks the environment variable, we check
the system property.

annoyingly we _also_ check the environment variable, which is useful for
command-line stuff (where it's a workaround for the lack of functions in
POSIX that take an explicit timezone). this shows up in profiles even; if
you profile the logcat command which takes a bunch of timestamps and
formats them, it spends a depressing amount of time in getenv(). the system
properties stuff is cheap to ask "has it changed?" after your first lookup.
theoretically i could make the environment functions try to keep track of
changes, but putenv() breaks that. (environ is no great help either.) i
guess i could look for putenv() with "TZ=" and have another "all bets are
off" flag, but, well, i've never been quite annoyed enough by logcat's
performance issues to try to go there.