[tz] [PROPOSED 3/3] Vanguard form now uses subsecond precision

Jon Skeet skeet at pobox.com
Fri Jul 29 07:26:27 UTC 2022

On Fri, 29 Jul 2022, 08:04 Stephen Colebourne via tz, <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> FWIW, while I'm content that this is for Vanguard only, I don't
> personally think this change should be made.

I second this. From the perspective of Noda Time (the project I maintain)
we decided long ago that the precision of UTC offsets would be one second.

Basically this change will mean extra work for me to truncate back to
seconds. (I'm pretty sure we're using the vanguard data - I'd need to
double check.)

Obviously the small inconvenience for one developer shouldn't be regarded
as a veto, but I wanted to mention it as one data point. There are
definitely costs to this - are there also known concrete benefits, in terms
of consumers wanting to use this data?

Jon