[tz] Add option to act like global-tz

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 27 18:10:49 UTC 2022

On 7/27/22 01:47, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:

> Can you clarify what is generated?

With the patch, this shell command:

   make PACKRATDATA=backzone PACKRATLIST=zone.tab install

installs into /usr/share/zoneinfo files that are identical to those
installed by global-tz's "make install", except that
/usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi's lines differ in ways that should not
matter. To be precise, tzdata.zi's lines are sorted differently (which
is irrelevant) and have one unused ruleset (also irrelevant, and easily
fixed with the attached further patch which I have not installed either)
and tzdata.zi's version comments differ as follows:

   -# version 2022agtz-122-gcd2e4b5

   +# version 2022a-60-ge743ce9

   +# ddeps backzone zone.tab

None of this should affect how tzdata.zi is interpreted.

> the tooling chains
> that global-tz supports need the *source* files (africa, europe,
> northamerica...) to contain the data

You can get that by using the tailored_tarballs target added recently.
For example, this shell command:

   make DATAFORM=rearguard \
     PACKRATDATA=backzone PACKRATLIST=zone.tab tailored_tarballs

generates a tarball that should be suitable for the toolchains you
mention. I just now did that using the two proposed patches, and put the
results here temporarily:

https://www.cs.ucla.edu/~eggert/tz/tzdata2022a-61-g3af508c-tailored.tar.gz