[tz] [PROPOSED 3/3] Vanguard form now uses subsecond precision

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Fri Jul 29 14:36:31 UTC 2022

I too wonder about the wisdom of this.

Tzdb has been one-second resolution for decades. This has proven to be
sufficient and acceptable for "civil time". I know of no call for higher
resolution for local time. I'm all for better precision where needed,
but I think this adds new complexity and risks interoperability issues.
I see several difficulties that recommend against it.

I think there could be significant controversy choosing a decimal
fraction resolution. Steve Allen says it would be better to limit to
milliseconds. I'd point out that DUT1 was decided to be 1/10th second
because this was sufficient for celestial navigation at the time. Paul
has mentioned many systems can represent nanoseconds, but Windows is
100-nanoseconds. European financial regulations call for 50
microseconds. Paul has now rounded to centisecond. So which is it?
Should tzdb support *variable* resolution?

In the work I'm doing for media (video/audio) representation we have
some strange rates, or frequencies, to cope with, including 30000/1001
video and 48000/1 audio. Here we need *exact* integral counts of media
units since the IEEE 1588 PTP "Epoch". This is tricky business to
implement. A critical factor is determining 'start-of-day' (midnight) of
local time. Thankfully Tzdb provides one-second resolution
representation of local time rules. If this were to change it would
greatly complicate these calculations.

Also, I am  supporting Vanguard (negative DST amongst things), and I'm
doing this with versions of zic and zdump that I've ported to Windows,
including parts of glibc. If these sorts of changes are made to the tz
data and zic it will require merging those changes into my
implementation and retesting tens of thousands of data points.

I think this could possibly confuse policy makers about how best to
define their local times in laws, etc. It could also tempt somebody to
adopt sub-second offsets in their local time. This could open tzdb to
yet another avenue of 'political' critique.

I've great respect for Paul's skills and dedication and his instinct to
be as true to the historical record as possible. But I think this is a
bridge too far.

"A second never lies".

-Brooks