[tz] Change Turkey to Turkiye or not?

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Mon Jun 6 17:56:55 UTC 2022

Jacob Pratt via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:

> It is far too early for a change like this to be made. Until (and if)
> Türkiye becomes more common than Turkey in ordinary usage, don't expect
> anything to change.

And just to set expectations, the time range you should be thinking of
here is on the order of ten years.  Spellings are highly persistent.
(Admittedly, this specific one is less of an issue for tz because the
zones, which are the difficult names to change, are named after cities
rather than countries, so this would mostly affect comments and ancillary
data files.)

Currently, an English language Google search for Turkiye returns almost
entirely pages about the effort by the Turkish government to change the
official name, whereas an English language Google search for Turkey
returns all the expected search results for the country.  (365M results
versus 8.6B results, too, although I wouldn't put much store in those
results since it looks like Google does some amount of "autocorrecting"
Turkiye to Turkey under the hood.)

(This led me down a rabbit hole wondering about Czechia vs. Czech
Republic, although that appears to be a different case where both names
are officially correct although I believe Czechia is increasingly used by
international bodies.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>