[tz] Please Don't Feed the Trolls (was Kyiv not Kiev)

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 15:01:37 UTC 2022

On 29/06/2022 14:27, Petro Ord wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, there have been no reports that the wrong time was
>> shown for Europe/Simferopol during winter time (when its local time
>> differs from Europe/Kyiv).
>
> Valid point - I'll make one during winter time in order to be more
> specific on the problem issued.

Corrections for times in the past are also welcome (e.g. for last
winter), but note that "the wrong time" means that the local time
indicated for the zone differs from the actual time that people in that
region lived their lives by, e.g. transport departure and arrival times,
store opening and closing times, work day start and end times, TV and
radio programme start and end times, etc.

> # From Alexander Krivenyshev (2014-03-17):
> # time change at 2:00 (2am) on March 30, 2014
> # https://vz.ru/news/2014/3/17/677464.html
> # From Paul Eggert (2014-03-30):
> # Simferopol and Sevastopol reportedly changed their central town clocks
>
> I do not see this request complaining that the time was incorrect. The
> request implies that russia decided to change the time on the
> territory that does not belong to russia.
> I thought that tz update decisions should not be done upon political
> and/or ideological reasons, but, apparently, it does not apply to
> russian requests.

When Ukraine successfully reclaims the occupied territory I assume one
thing they will do is revert the local time back to Ukrainian standards,
and the TZ entry for Europe/Simferopol will be updated to reflect that.
It's not about supporting one side or another, it's about reflecting the
actual situation on the ground.  The historical parts of the TZ database
contain several entries for time changes imposed by German occupying
forces during WWII for example.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-