[tz] Please Don't Feed the Trolls (was Kyiv not Kiev)

Petro Ord petro.ordyn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 10:11:45 UTC 2022

It seems that "If boundaries between regions are fluid, such as during
a war or insurrection, do not bother to create a new timezone merely
because of yet another boundary change." does not apply to russia.
Even more, it doesn't even matter what the other countries do or
issue, except russia.What affect has the resolution had on the time to
which Crimean residents set their watches and that Crimean residents
expect their mobile phones/computing devices to display?

> What affect has the resolution had on the time to which Crimean residents set
> their watches and that Crimean residents expect their mobile phones/computing devices to display?
This is the response to "When Ukraine successfully reclaims the
occupied territory", not only Ukraine reclaimed the occupied territory
but also the rest of the world did.

> Possibly.  Unlike the Europe/Simferopol tzdb region,
> which had different time zone rules post-1970 and prior to the Russian occupation,
> Mariupol and Kherson were, I presume, on Kyiv time, so a time change there would
> require the creation of a new tzdb region
Europe/Simferopol was also on Kyiv time, but as I said earlier, only
russian requests are approved without any consideration to Theory and
pragmatics of the tz code and data

> Because that's not a change that affects time conversion.
> It's like the change from Asia/Calcutta to Asia/Kolkata;
Kyiv is not the name change. You don't have time for Kyiv in the tz databse.
You have enough requests to correct the error, but again, it is not
the russian requests...