[tz] Summer time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 10 19:26:34 UTC 2022

On 3/10/22 04:50, heba.hamad at mtit.gov.ps wrote:
> We would like to inform you that the summer time will begin in Palestine from Sunday 03-27-2022  ,00:00 AM  by 60 minutes forward.

Thanks, do you have a URL for that announcement?

It sounds like Palestine is changing its spring-forward rules, so that
Palestine will now spring forward at 00:00 on the first Sunday on or
after March 25, whereas during 2020 and 2021 Palestine sprang forward at
00:00 on the first Saturday after March 24. Is my understanding correct?

Knowing the transition rule would be helpful, because TZDB makes
predictions about future years, some computer applications rely on this
(perhaps unwisely, but that's what they do), and the more accurate the
predictions the better off everybody will be. This is related to Clive
Feather's point that we need plenty of advance notice of rule changes
(we'd like a year's notice).

Without knowing the answers to the above questions, I installed the
attached proposed patch into the TZDB development version. If possible,
I'd like to improve this (based on answers to the above questions)
before the next TZDB release, which should happen soon.