[tz] permanent DST and North American time zone names

Paul Goyette paul at whooppee.com
Wed Mar 16 15:42:40 UTC 2022

On Wed, 16 Mar 2022, Tim Parenti via tz wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 at 11:10, John Sauter via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
>> The problem, of course, is that we won't know ahead of time what
>> abbreviations to use.  A reasonable guess, however, is that people will
>> continue to use whatever abbreviations they have been using.
>

> Complicating matters somewhat is that, because of the prevalence of tzdb,
> in a sense we're "victims of our own success".  That is, whatever we end up
> picking will likely show up fairly automatically in a lot of public-facing
> places, and so even if it isn't what the public would've naturally used in
> the immediate aftermath of a change, many will be fairly quickly informed
> by what they start to see, and may start adopting and spreading whatever
> nomenclature we've picked.

Let's get really creative (and confusing) and switch to

 	PSDT, MSDT, CSDT, and ESDT

Oh, no, that means we'd end up back in the business of inventing
zone abbreviations.    :)

So maybe we switch to <+n> nomenclature until boots-on-the-ground
can provide more-or-less definitive "common usage" abbreviations.