[tz] Change Request: Europe/Kiev to Europe/Kyiv

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Mar 17 15:29:33 UTC 2022

On Mar 17, 2022, at 11:15, John Haxby via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> I've been wondering that myself.  Anyone following recent events on the BBC news and websites will be in no doubt about the spelling pronunciation. I think all the UK press is now using "Kyiv" as well.
>
> Even the local supermarkets are changing: the chicken and garlic dish has been renamed "Chicken Kyiv" (well, Sainsbury's and the Coop, I think).

FWIW, The New York Times (widely considered the ‘newspaper of record’ in the US) has been using ‘Kyiv’ for some time now.

While I’m Not A Fan of changing IDs just because of drifts in usage in the popular culture, the precedent has already been set WRT tzdb —e.g. Asia/Kolkata. I think we’ve hit the tipping point here as well.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |