[tz] Unfortunate time zone names in the United States

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Mar 17 20:51:35 UTC 2022

John Levine via tz said:
> The bill passed by the Senate deletes 260a, and updates 261 to change
> each of the numbers by an hour, 4 changes to 3, 5 to 4, and so forth
> 11 changes to 10 and the final 10 changes to 11.
>
> But it does *not* change section 263.  This means that the official
> US names of the time zones change, which is really stupid.  Since
> Hawaii, Samoa, and Guam do not use daylight time, Hawaii will now be in
> Alaska standard time, Samoa in Hawaii-Aleutian standard time,
> and Guam in a time zone with no name.

Not necessarily. Hawaii-Aleutian standard time will become UTC-9. I don't
know what legislation says what time is used in Hawaii, but if it uses that
name then time in Hawaii will jump forward one hour on the date the law
comes into effect.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.