[tz] Announcing global-tz - 2022ag (beta)

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Fri Mar 18 18:48:01 UTC 2022

My understanding is that tzdb will need to use za, zb, zc after z, because
otherwise the versions don't have the correct alphabetical sort order which
I believe downstream systems see as an important property of the naming
scheme. Is this documented somewhere? I don't see it in theory.

I know there is some resistance to names with characters other than a-z, so
I wouldn't want to choose -g as a suffix.
Thanks
Stephen